The comments and opinions expressed in this blog are my own and they do not represent the US Government, the Peace Corps, or the Government of Togo.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I made it!

Okay, so I apologize to everyone for the infrequent blog posts so far and I promise I will try to do better in the future. I had a lovely post all typed out on Sunday, but of course the computer wouldnt read it, and then I ran out of time and money to try to re type it. So, I will try from now on to type the posts on my computer and post them more frequently.

So, I made it to Togo! The last couple of weeks have been somewhat exhausting with all of the information I have been getting from Peace Corps and my ten hours of class per day. I am slowly adjusting to life here, and although I cant say it has been easy, its coming along day by day.

The first few days here were spent at a hostel in Lome with all the other PCTs (Peace Corps Trainees). IT was pretty much like summer camp except that instead of fun games and horseback riding, ze learned how to not get parasites and take a bucket bath. Then we moved out to our homestays a few days later and the real cultural adjusting began. My host family is really nice, and they are trying their hardest to teach me how to be Togolese. Needless to say, there have been some awkward moments, but I tend to just laugh at myself in order to difuse the situations.

I wake up around five thirty every morning to the roosters crowing and African music blaring outside my window. I then go to the latrine and take my bucket shower, then I eat breakfast, and go to class. Every day I have language and technical training, which is all coming along pretty well. My French gets noticibly better every day which is very exciting! I then come home, eat dinner, and hang out with my host family. I get in bed and read every night around eight and go to sleep.

So, that is the simple version of my current life. Every day is full of surprises and challenges, but I am just taking things one day at a time.

I really appreciate all of the emails and support I have gotten so far. I hope that once I am done with training I will be able to respond to everyone in a more timely manner, but right now I have very little time and money. I love you all and miss you every day!

Oh, also, I have a cell phone! If you would like to call me, email me and I will give you the number and instructions. Its kind of expensive for you, but free for me so I would love to hear from everyone! I also got some advice about packages from a current volunteer. She said that in her experience the flat rate boxes are more likely to make it here than the padded envelopes so keep that in mind when sending things (sorry, I know that is contrary to prior advice I had recieved).

4 comments:

  1. Yay! It worked! You are officially an invincible peace corps volunteer! haha! I am so glad we got to talk! It was crazy to hear your voice all the way from Africa! Je vais faire les emails a toi en francais. Il est bonne pratique pour tous les deux nous Je suis fier de toi. J'espere que tu m'enseignera la langue française quand tu reviens. Tu es une fille tres incroyable. Les personnes togolese sont chanceux de te connais. Tu me manques tous le temps! Bises! Ciao!

    p.s. my french is rusty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fair bretani! We don't all speak French! Katy if you need a Frech phrase to practice, try this one.."You are what the French call 'Les Incompetent'". - Home Alone. Thinking about you all the way from Tejas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay!!!! soooo great to read your post!!! you are amazing!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want your phone number....do you think i can call from skype? miss your face, you are amazing peanut!

    ReplyDelete