The comments and opinions expressed in this blog are my own and they do not represent the US Government, the Peace Corps, or the Government of Togo.

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Hey everyone! So, here I am in my fourth week in Togo! The weeks are starting to go by a little faster as we get further into our technical instruction and my French progresses. In the past two weeks we have been to observe a few classes in the Togolese schools to see the ratio of girls to boys and watch the participation of the girls in class. Tomorrow two other trainees and I have to go teach a club activity to a group of about 80 (gasp!) middle school students about setting goals and how to achieve them…oh and did I mention it’s in French! Eek! We have also had many hours of French instruction, and we have a mid training test in two weeks to assess our progress.
The kids around the village are starting to grow on me. Everywhere I walk, I have about twenty kids following me and wanting to hold my hand, and they are all just precious. They are all starting to learn my name too, which is better than being called “yovo” (means white person) all the time. Sometimes, though, there are the kids who are just terrified of me. I went to buy a coke the other day, and the baby behind the counter saw me and just starting screaming and crying with terror, haha. I guess the white skin freaked him out a little. His mom thought this was hilarious.
I am now very comfortable at home with my host family. I really enjoy coming home and spending time watching them cook, eating dinner with them, and just generally asking them a billion questions about Togolese culture and families. Today my host sister made me this awesome peanut butter candy (think Butterfinger) since she knows how much I love it. She also showed me how to make it, so hopefully I will be able to make it for myself at post. After living with Fernanda in Italy, I didn’t know how any host family was going to compare to her but I must say, they have stepped up to the plate.
In more exciting news… I found out my permanent site today!!! I will be in a large city in the Central region of the country. It is actually the post I wanted, but didn’t think I would get so I am thrilled! I think I will have the opportunity to work with several schools in the area, do some teaching, and there are several NGO’s in the area that I could work with. Our site visit is in a couple of weeks, so until then I won’t know specifically what I will be doing, but I have a rough idea.
Thank you to everyone for leaving comments! I love hearing from you all. The turnaround for emails from me looks like about two weeks. I go to the internet once a week and take the emails off of gmail and write responses during the next week. So if you have emailed me, fear not! I will get back to you in two weeks. Let me know if there is something you are curious about, or would like me to write about. Life here is starting to seem more normal to me, so I know there are things I am forgetting to write about! Also, as some of you know, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays so I would love to hear about/live vicariously through all of your awesome costumes this year! Send me your pictures please! Okay, no more exciting news, but I miss you all so much!

9 comments:

  1. Katy!! I miss you so much! I love Sundays when I get this update! Sorry I didn't call you today! It was too late by the time I could get on Skype! I will try and call you tomorrow though. I want to see what crazy new stuff I can look up on the internet after we finish talking. I looked up that fly. Gross. Seriously. Give me some Halloween costume ideas. I'm uncreative. Like I said, I miss you and pray for you everyday! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's still surreal for me that you're in Africa speaking French and living among the Togolese people! Have you shown them pictures of us? Do they think I'm the cutest? Jaclyn and I are thinking about being Toddlers in Tiaras for Halloween...or the good old fall back, Fanta Girls. I hope you got our Halloween package! I saw Adam at the State Fair and he said we should start drawing religious symbols on the packages so people will stop stealing your m&ms! You'll have to confirm that one. xoxo, P$

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiddee-ho Kat-o! I'm a blog virgin with lots o' questions so here we go..........

    Are females in Togo called Togas? If "yovo" is white person, what does "yo'taxi!" mean? Is it too soon for me to move in?

    Seriously, I am so glad to hear that you are settling in and that you got a really awesome assignment. I'll bet your host family is glad to have such a sweet yovo in their home. We found about a billion Wifi spots for your Dad in Lima and purchased headphones (with a mic) for his I-Touch so now he can call you from everywhere! He was really thrilled (as thrilled as he gets anyway) to get it all working.

    I think of and pray over you often. Be careful, learn alot and remember to shower with your mouth closed!

    John R

    ReplyDelete
  4. katy k- glad you're doing well and seem excited about it all. nostaliga mixed with hope and fear, those are the feelings with which i read your posts. be careful. have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kitty Kat,

    Sure sounds like you are living it up. I mean, buying cokes and eating peanut butter candy? I thought that you were volunteering, but APPARENTLY you are living in the lap of luxury.

    I will try to wear an outfit made completely of spandex on Halloween in honor of you!

    Baci,
    Anna

    PS- I won't tell Fernanda what you said. I don't think she would be too pleased to hear that someone could even be close to living up to her. I mean, there is no way that this new family has given you a bed even half as hard as the one Fernie had to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yayyy!!! love that u updated!! yes, it seems you're living the high life over there in TOGO... (butterfingers and what not!) sooo glad that you got the post that you wanted! (and I like that it's in a big city so you can visit more schools and be with more people)... you're amazing! i'm so glad it's going well for you!

    PS- I'm a pink lady (from grease) for Halloween!! GREASE LIGHTNING!!
    love you! ~LIZY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katia!!

    Ah I miss you sooo much! I'm glad to hear you got the post you wanted. I can't believe you thought for a minute you wouldn't get it. I mean you ARE Katherine Kienitz! So I would like to know, does your host family speak French, English, some crazy tribal language or all of the above?? Also, have you gotten to go to any soirées? I've been trying to channel my inner-Katy to come up with really creative/clever Halloween costumes. I'm glad to hear you're adjusting to life in Togo well. I miss you so much.

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you everyone for the comments! i miss you all so much!

    ReplyDelete